Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Happy New Year!

The first day hike was amazing, but it was not peaceful. There were people everywhere. I was afraid of the hanging bridge, but I went across it. I wanted to wait until no one else was on it, because it bounces so much, but they came out of the woods and walked on behind me. They didn't know I wanted to be the only one on it, or they didn't care. They were just going on with their walk. We signed up and we were a little later getting there than we had wanted. You know, someone had to use the bathroom just as we were leaving. There were three of us. It's harder the more people you have to wrangle. There were signs and volunteers directing us to the parking spots that were left. There was a crowd visible through the woods. I truly think there may have been 500 people there. There was a long hike and a short hike. More people went on the 4-mile hike--maybe 300? We waited for the second group. It was supposed to be about 2 1/2 miles. There was a line at the bridge. We chatted with other people waiting. We could see people ahead of us, behind us, across the river. Splashes of color, noise. It was a beautiful sunny day, not warm, but not bitter cold. We were all there for the same reason. Some people left because it was too crowded. Ray and Amy went to look at the rocks. I stayed back. I could see them most of the time, a red jacket, a hat. Near them was a small group getting ready to go in the water. A teenage boy and his younger brothers or smaller friends. He stripped down to his striped underwear and waded in. One of the others ran in and out, splashing, but he was calm and unhurried. On the way back, I saw another group in the water. The bare skin contrasted with the layers of clothing the rest of us were wearing. Is this a tradition I don't know about? We turned back, enough walking for us today. I was out of breath and didn't want to push myself too much. There was hot chocolate with marshmallows in compostable cups. Ray made a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment